Saturday, May 29, 2010

Third person simple present and present continuous

First and second years
The last two lessons of the year this week of teaching...I decided to go for the absolute basics, because that's where the trouble is.
To start out I drew a butterfly on the board and asked the ss "what is this", there reply: "butterfly", I scolded them roundly for not answering in a complete sentence, and managed to get them to come up with, "that is a butterfly" after a bit of mumbled discussion among the desks. Then I asked, "what does a butterfly do?", fully expecting, "he fly", or "butterfly fly", but they were right on and gave me, "a butterfly flies".
I had them come up to the board as well and they all drew a picture and we practiced this language.
The second years watched the Matty Goldberg video afterwards and we discussed that and I tried to get them to use present continuous, but it seemed a bit forced.
The first years watched part of Watership Downs
I also used exercises from Raymond Murphy Chapter 1 and 2 to fill in the extra time...Goodbye welcome good ol' summer time!

No comments:

Post a Comment