Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Classes sept 27th

One of the methods of teaching a language is through translation.  The students are given a text and asked to translate into the language to be learned.  This has a few advantages in that students can learn sentence structure and patterns.  However, there are a few problems with direct translation when there is no corresponding word or structure in the learned language.  I gave the economics class a business article in Ukrainian and asked them to translate it into English.  Obviously, there were problems with sentence structure, but also major problems with the usage and placement of the articles, and prepositions.  I'll not go further here, until I finish categorizing my "test results".  One problem I noticed in direct translation was an error in using "too".  In Ukrainian a person uses "теж"  meaning "too" for negative and positive sentences.  Thus, I discovered them saying, "I don't want to be a teacher, too".  So I decided a few lessons on "either, neither and too" were in order.  I wrote up a sheet identifying some of the rules of either/ neither and then we did some examples of this with the students.  For example... " I can take either bus number 16 or bus number 22"  Or " I don't have a watch and neither does she".  In the first class I had today we covered the rules, and a worksheet of sentences, matching verb tenses to the subject.  We also looked at a sheet of pictures of 4 men and made sentences using "too", " neither /either". 
The second class today we just covered the rules and worked on some examples that they could think of.  We did not do any sentences we ran out of time.  The second class was Julia's class - physics students.  Next week I plan to continue to do more on either/neither/ too with them. The teacher said this class is not familiar with verb tenses.  They are only learning them now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment